Swinging saturdays is a musical meme hosted by Ice Cold Passion, to share our passion for music. The goal is to make a top 5 (or Top 10) for whatever genre or artist you like or get creative and share a theme based music top 5. For example a bookish soundtrack, funny songs, song to listen to on a rainy day top 5.
The last Saturday of the year! So HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!
Time to look back at this great musical year. This time I am not going to discuss what was new for me in 2016, but I wanted to take you back to my musical year, through the concerts I have visited instead. This year I visited 13 concert and 1 (small) festival.
Below my little overview of the concerts, it almost looks like the tour dates you sometimes see on the back of some band shirts:
10 January: Frank Turner - TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht
25 January: Hozier - Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
19 February: De Staat, Hedon, Zwolle
7 March: Muse - Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam
26 March: Misfits - Rock At Con, Jaarbeurs, Utrecht
6 April: Sore Losers - Hedon, Zwolle
8 April: Will and The People - Hedon, Zwolle
12 May: Luke Winslow King - Burgerweeshuis, Deventer
4 June: Pedro Pico Pop, Raalte - Roots Rising, Steak Number Eight, Mala Vita, De Geweldigheid, Canshaker Pi, Ravenna, Note To Amy, Orgaanklap, De Kik, The Toy Dolls and more.
29 Juni: Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, Patronaat, Haarlem
21 August: Good Charlotte, TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht
5 September: Frank Turner - Amsterdamse Bostheater, Amsterdam
7 November: The Lumineers, Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
26 November: Jake Bugg, TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht
Ok let's get started, counting down to the best concert of the year. Wow, this is going to be incredibly hard.
10. Pedro Pico Pop
Yes of course I am going to start with the festival, because I am a big cheat, because I am going to share 2 bands with you.
Orgaanklap ~ Gunshow
AND THE AWARD FOR MOST REMARKABLE, CRAZY BAND GOES TO: ORGAANKLAP (crowd roars!) It think this is by far the most strange and crazy band I have seen so far. Not a show I am likely to forget.. It was insane, and so much fun to watch.
The Kik ~ SimoneAlso Dutch, singing pretty little Dutch songs The Kik. Little something about them, they have great live show. And there I was, close to the stage, when the guitarist, started pointing at me and asked me if I liked is guitar solo.. Astonished as I was I looked next to me to see if he was pointing at someone else but no... Must have been very funny, since I became a bit shy...
9. The Sore Losers ~ Beyond RepairLet get on with our southern neighbours, well if you are familiar with European geography, this means Belgium! This was a pretty great show, and I know that in Belgium they are pretty popular. However in Zwolle, not so much.. So if they ever make it back to Hedon, I would like to do a shout out to all indie rock fans in the neighbourhood! Go by tickets to see them, they really deserve a packed Hedon! Here the song the made me like this band: Beyond Repair.
8. Luke Winslow King ~ Kokomo BluesrThis concert was very special because I went with my Grandmother. Yes, you heard me, my grandmother, and she had a blast!The music was amazing and I am very glad the I went and took my grandmother with me.. We had a lot of fun. Now about the music, this is something you don't see me post often, but yes this is New Orleans blues. I hope you enjoy it!
7. Will and The People ~ The GameYes, we all know "Lion In The Morning Sun" and "Salamander" by heart, but did you know they have a lot more great music? Well apparently I wasn't the only one because it was pretty busy at this concert. I even met a woman who came all the way from Germany to see them. Yes they are still alive and kicking. Please join there party, since that is what you will get when you see them in concert. Here is one of my favourites: The Game.
6. Good Charlotte ~ Lifestyles of the Rich & FamousI want you to go back in time to the year 2002. Yes, this is a song from my teen age years. Remember that on punkish song that made it into the chards, well let me refresh your mind then, here's Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous! They were back this year for a show in the Netherlands and let me tell you they rocked! They are also releasing a new album, or is it already out? I am not sure, anyway they played some new songs which sounded really promising.
5. Jake Bugg ~ Gimme The LoveI am still not sure if the fifth place does him justice but the concerts following were just soooooo good.. Not that this concert was bad, Jake Bugg is truly amazing, and I was in the second or third row, so that gave me a perfect view of the stage. I truly loved this concert very much. Here's a song from his latest album On My One.
4. The Lumineers ~ Dead SeaLet me tell you a story. I ordered a ticket, a couple of months before the concert. When the concert came around I was actually in no mood to go, since my grandfather was just admitted in the hospital. (BTW he is doing much better now) Since I had the ticket for so long I did decide to go even though I was in a bad mood. I am so glad I went, it took my mind of things and I was in a happy place for even a little while. Here is a song from their debut album, I just love the lyrics to this one.
3. De Staat ~ Make The CallIf you haven't seen them live yet, please see if they are playing somewhere in the neighbourhood, they are on tour somewhere in Europe now. Their live shows are something, very very very good. It is no surprise that the song of the year came from them. Here is the Song of 2016: Make The Call!
2. Hozier ~ SedatedI started 2016, pretty well, concert wise.. Frank Turner followed by Hozier. He can "Take Me To Church" any day, this concert was amazing, how could it not be, since I put it in second place. His voice so sexy and warm, just delicious (also to look at).Oh, I forgot, big big complement for the backing vocals, very very beatiful and a certainly a great asset to the band. Sedated is a song I usually put on repeat for about 5 times before skipping to another song.
1. Muse ~ Plug In BabyHow could they not be number one? The best freaking rock band in the world. And what an amazing show! I was so lucky to be there! Here is the song me and my sister kept hoping they played but didn't :(
Which concerts did you go to this year?
Feel free to leave a comment!
Feel free to leave a comment!
Want to host Swing Saturdays next week? Send me an email: email@example.com.
I would love to hear what kind of music you like!